Part One: The Gown

Is it too early to go dress shopping? The tentative date is October 2012... so a little over a year away.

I watch a lot of Say Yes to the Dress. Even before Steve and I got engaged, I watched it. There must be some kind of subliminal messaging going on because sometimes I didn't even mean to watch it, but somehow the TV gets turned to it and you watch one episode. And then another. And another. And before you know it, you've been watching a marathon of SYTTD for 5 hours...

It always blows my mind that women go into Kleinfelds and say, "Well, I definitely don't want to spend more than $5,000." FIVE THOUSAND?! Ha! If that's your style (and your budget) then more power to you, I just can't see myself spending thousands of dollars on a dress I'm only going to wear for a few hours.

 Instead, we went to David's Bridal. We got there and had to wait about 20 minutes (despite having an appointment! ugh...) and then the whole process seemed very slow. I'd try on one (or maybe two) dresses and then have to wait while the consultant looked for others on my list. It was kind of ironic because they asked me to pick out my favorite dresses on their website before my consultation so they could have a dresses ready for me to try on, but that was absolutely not the case. I'll be honest. Overall, the shop was kind of a dump. Maybe it because of all the SYTTD marathons I can't help but to watch, but everything from the carpets to the couches to the dressing rooms were very dated and dirty. Oh, and I'm pretty sure they hadn't vacuumed in at least a month. Despite the so-so decor, my consultant was very nice and helpful. I was her first bride so she was a little slow picking things out... or it could have been because all the dresses were organized by size instead of style number?! Seems kind of counter-intuitive if you ask me.

Since Steve reads this, I don't want to get into too much detail about the dresses I tried on, but I will say that there are a few contenders...:)

13 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh, good luck on the dress shopping! I know what you mean about the SYTTD marathons! I get glued to the TV too, LOL. You never know with places like David's Bridal. My sister got her dress from a warehouse like place (the decor was nothing like Kleinfelds). But it was a beautiful dress nonetheless and the staff was very knowledgeable about what my sister was looking for, even though she didn't verbalize it that well. When I first walked into the 'warehouse-like-place' I was not impressed at all, but it was a great experience.

Kavery said...

Good luck - you can never plan too far ahead.

LyddieGal said...

I poked around david's bridal earlier this year when my mom was looking for something to wear to my brothers wedding... i agree, it was a far cry from kleinfelds. and i think those brides who spend that much on gowns are INSANE. And the ones who buy two? ugh. I hate them.

Glad you've got a couple contenders already, good luck with the search!

Chic on the Cheap

Josie said...

Lady, it's NEVER too early to look! Glad you found some things you might like!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

lapetal said...

I can't help but look at beautiful wedding dresses... and im not even engaged and doubt I will be for another year or so... heh
Its never to early to start

xx

Viktoria with a K said...

It's really never too early to look! I only used David's Bridal for my veil. I went with J. Crew and only spent $300 on my gown. I didn't have the typically try-on experience (I ordered it online and had it shipped to me), but I was SO happy with the results. Good luck with all of your planning!!

Bonnie said...

Yeaaaa, I'm a little biased since I did get my dress at Kleinfelds. lol. However, there are some new shops in the DC area that are supposed to be great: Hitched in Georgetown, and one in Columbia... i forget what it's called. Definitely shop around til you find one you don't want to take off ever- that's how i knew i had found my dress :)

Breenah said...

I've never liked David's Bridal. I wound up getting my dress from a department store for only $90!

Isabel said...

you should go to new york and make an appointment at kleinfields just for fun! lol

Rin said...

I'm a Say Yes to the Dress addict too! My sister had a bad experience at David's Bridal too. She went to try on different styles, not necessarily to buy, and they were a bit rushed and snippy with her. She ended up at boutique and got a beautiful dress for $900.

I'm with you on the price. I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on a dress! I'd rather spend it on traveling or a house.

Abby said...

It's never too early to start dress shopping! I was looking at dresses and watching My Fair Wedding months before I got engaged. We've been together for 9 years so it was never a case of "if" but "when". Our original date was May 2012 but now we're looking at October 2012 which is great because I've always wanted a fall wedding. However I already bought my dress! I went to David's Bridal and had a wonderful experience and since I went when they have their big sale my dress was only $650 and I love it! I think with DB it just depends, because I heard so many mixed reviews before going so I was scared! But everything was great and I only had to try on 5 dresses before I found "the one". Good luck finding your dream dress, I know you'll look beautiful!

Iris said...

SYTTD is crazy! I just want to happen to find the perfect dress to wear to my wedding at Loehmanns or something so I don't have to go through the whole process.

I'm glad you are finding things you like :)

Sorren said...

Holy moly you are on the ball! I have looked online at a few dress but have yet to hit up a store. I also haven't watched much SYTTD, however I have watched enough to know that I too will likely be disappointed by their outdated carpets.

As for the price.... eeep! I hope they have some pretty nice dresses under $1,000!!